Friday, July 24, 2009

Wissahickon Valley Park

After taking part in the walk through half of Wissahickon Valley Park, I have been opened to a different environment to my city I call my own. After walking through the park, I had many questions and concerns that I took into my own hands to do research on, some that maybe even people that are reading this particular blog will be interested in. Did you ever think what goes on in these special parks? Why they are recognized and labeled "Special" over many other Parkways? Well here goes some insight onto what Wissahickon Valley Means to Philadelphia.
Wissahickon Valley park is one of the largest city parks in the world, that stretches 1,800 acres which is a part of Philadelphia's 9,200-acre Fairmount Park, alone the Wissahickon Creek runs through its entire seven-mile lengh. The park extends from Chestnut Hill in the north to Manayunk in the southwest. The friends of the Wissahickon, FOW, which is a non-profit organization, has been giving back, dedicated to working and advocating for the park since 1924. Nevertheless, FOW is one of the oldest and largest of more than 80 Friends of Park groups in Philadelphia. They also conserve the forrest and creek, restore trails, and preserves the Park's historical structure for the Fairmount Park as well.

After learning new things more about the Wissahickon Valley Park makes me appreciate it more when I drive by it, knowing the information I know.

-Natasha Connor


0 comments: